Family reunions can happen in association with summer weddings, but they can also happen all on their own.
Parks have terrific facilities for family gatherings with tables and BBQ grilles that can be reserved, and many have covered event areas that are a great insurance against rain. Of course, you can also choose restaurants, social club halls and the like to bring everyone together.
Use a free Weinvite.com account to organize your family reunion with custom invitations. Here are five ideas/tips for a wonderful gathering of your family. But start with online invitations, so you can track RSVPs.
1. Choose the park idea, and make sure you know the procedures for reserving a space with the local park commission. Order some food to be delivered right to the site. Or perhaps you, the organizer, buy the meat, chicken, etc. for grilling and invite people to bring sides, desserts, etc. Make sure to bring bin bags to take away all the waste from the party. And don’t forget to bring the music. Bluetooth speakers work great for outdoor parties. Just make sure you have enough of them, and that they are fully charged.
You can use Weinvite’s free online invitation tool to create your invitation. We have invitation templates for “Family Gathering” in the dropdown menu for Event Style. Then you can add all the information about time and place, and even upload a family photo to your invitation.
2. How big is your family? How talented? Tap the actors and musicians in your extended family to provide some entertainment, or even make it into a talent show. If you are outside, you will need a microphone, speaker, and power source. Or you can make it less formal and just as much fun by renting a karaoke machine and inviting people to do their favorite songs.
3. There will be kids at the party, and you’ll want to give them something to do that doesn’t require adult supervision. How about a movie under the stars. You can rent a projector to run a family movie on the side of a building, garage door or on to a rented screen. After hours of eating and physical games that tire kids and adults out, a chill-out time at the end of the event with a movie is just what is needed.
4. Have plenty of activities for the kids and teenagers attending your family reunion. You can organize either a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt. If the party is in a park, you can make the things to gather in a scavenger hunt items from nature—an acorn, a pinecone, a white rock, etc. A Treasure Hunt can be just as fun. First, put a bunch of candy, glow sticks, and other kid-friendly items in a box. Start the kids off with a map but determine how they will advance from station to station you have created, ultimately leading them to the Treasure. At the first station, for example, have clues that the kids must figure out to progress to the second station. Create about ten stations, so it takes some time and there is anticipation built up for the big Treasure discovery.
5. Have some cornhole games. Having easily transportable games for kids, teens and adults can be the key to everyone having a good time. Cornhole has the advantage of being usable at either an outdoor venue, like a park, or an indoor venue such as a social club like a Lion’s Club or VFW hall. It’s also the perfect game to bring people of all ages together in one activity. You can make it a tournament, and form teams. And an eight-year-old can be just as proficient at cornhole as Granddad or Grandma.
Family reunions are wonderful ways to bring the generations together. But, of course, they can also be stressful when you bring family members together. Using these tips can knock down potential problems and issues. Using Weinvite.com will keep you organized and impress your family.